THE NAFDAC MAS CODE
- The NAFDAC MAS code is the pin printed under the silver panel on the drugs currently signed into the mobile authentification service.
- The codes are unique and can be verified only once, therefore making it impossible for producers of fake drugs to generate fake codes.
- This code is sent to the NAFDAC SMS short code before purchase of a drug using any mobile network.
- A drug manufacturing firm must get NAFDAC’s registration number first before they can get the MAS codes
THE NAFDAC SMS SHORT CODE 38353
- This short code is like a phone number that the pin found on the drug is sent to. It is registered for NAFDAC.
- The short code is toll free i.e. you are not charged for the messages you send to the short code. It’s free and supported by all networks.
- Once you send the MAS code to 38353, a response will be sent to you in a matter of seconds.
- If the response says ‘Fake, don’t use’, call the attention of the pharmacist to it or better yet call NAFDAC, and please don’t use.
- If the response says ‘OK’, then it is genuine and good for use.
NAFDAC SHORT CODE 20543
- NAFDAC introduced this short code 20543 to Nigerians to report adverse drug reactions if they have them. Once its received, NAFDAC calls the sender and gets more information about why the reaction occurs.
- It is also a toll free line i.e. no cost attached.
The use of these short codes has helped NAFDAC in her war against fake and counterfeit drugs, and in living up to her motto of safeguarding the health of the nation.
Bulk SMS service is becoming a mainstay in the growth of every economy as has been revealed by the use of short codes extensively in the health sector. This area is just one of the numerous ones were bulk SMS can be used effectively.
Use the comment box below to share your opinion on this initiative by NAFDAC in the use of short codes towards ensuring optimum healthcare service for Nigerians.